Kicking back
It's day off time and I couldn't need it more. We've been frantically busy lately. Our last on-call shift we were called up a ridiculous amount of times. We didn't actually have to leave the wire each time (one was a training mission and a few others were cancelled when we were on our way), but each one can take a lot out of you. It seemed like every time I laid down to take a breather for a minute someone would yell "mission!" at the top of their lungs. In no time flat you've got to be in the rig with all of your gear on ready to go and do whatever it is you're being called out for. The sheer effort of throwing on my gear is enough to make me break a sweat. By the time I've got on the body armor, rifle, ammo and whatever other crap I've got dangling from somewhere, I weigh an extra sixty lbs. or so. Add to that the inevitable adrenaline rush each time you're called and it all makes for a very tired Joey at the end of the day. Today I'm going to relax and recharge for the next cycle.


11 Comments:
Thanks for working so hard to protect the others.
hello joey, my name is ian and i'm a good friend of you little brother jake, i'd just like to thank you for what you're doing to protect our country and all the hard work you're putting in, i'm very appreciative towards it and i'd just like to thank you alot
thank you so much
ian c-w
hello,
i am also a friend of jakes and i also wanted to thank you for all of you hard efforts, i dont know that we could ever fully explain our gratitude for all you fighting over there.
thank you so much!
-Emily
Hey Little Brother - You are an inspiration to us all, David and I check in a couple times a week to see what you are up to. It makes me so happy to see that you are staying true to yourself even under these extreme circumstances. Lot's of love and keep your helmet on when people are shooting in your general direction! Melissa
Enjoy your rest! You've got lots of people thinking of you. (And your photos are real gems; they offer a little window into what life is like for you over there and they're artful, to boot.) All the best, Tom
Hi Joey!
Been reading and getting a real insite to what goes on. My nephew is with the 278th from Knoxville TN. Not sure where he is.
Please send me an address where I can send toys and candy to you.
Faye van Damme: hfv97502@charter.com
I live in Oregon.
Hey Joe- Still thinking of you everyday! The stress has got to be a killer! Wait... bad army pun... please excuse.
If it makes you feel better they like totally messed up my order at Starbucks today! Yeah, I ordered a double mocha with soy and they gave me it with half and half. And then I circled for like 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot downtown and I ended up having to park like five blocks from where I was headed and it was really cold and, of course, I forgot my scarf! So yeah, I was thinking "like, life is really hard now" and I thought of you and it gave me strength.
Are jokes funny?
Matt
Hey Joey, Rian showed us your website the other day and Mary Anne and I will check in every now and then to see how you are doing. Enjoyed reading all your comments and keep them up. Crosstide played at the Loveland last night (new/old Meow meow in a new place down close to the rialroad track under the highway....someone else wil give you a better description). Anyway, it was a great show. You are going to like there new arrangements. With Rian's hair looking like a Beattle and Matt's beard making him look like a mountain man you would have had to laugh. But you would have been right up front enjoying it all. Carrie is getting married in September to a really neat Spanish guy she has been with for a little over two years. We all like him a lot and are glad they are getting married but since they will be living in Spain and hopefully having little Spanish/American babies we plan on spending a lot of time over there. We are renting a big place near Barcelona for the festivities and you are welcome to join us if you can get leave. We'll let you know when just in case. Take care of your litte fanny my friend as we want your smiling face gracing our kitchen again real soon. We love you Joey and think of you often. Jay
Well since everyone is getting so sappy on you, I thought I might as well chime in and remind you that you have a stupid haircut.
Oh yeah, and I miss you and love you a lot. You mah Joemamma. And your first dinner at Thahn Thao is on me. Take care,
Rian
Hello Joey, I am yet another friend of your younger brother Jake. I have been reading your Journal for quite and you sound like your having fun while working hard. I thank you so much for protecting our country and risking your life. Your family is so sweet and nice and they are so supportive. Good Luck and stay safe, i can't wait to meet you when you return to Oregon!
Wow, it must be nice to have that much time on your hands in the middle of a war. I was a combat medic on convoy. Between being on the road for over 250,000 miles, calling in LZ's, MediVac's, running IV drips with AK rounds flying over my head,IED'S exploding and my base being mortared 190 times while I was there I did not have time make bon fires or drink near beer. What I am proud about is the soldiers that I helped who were injured while on the road, all made it to Germany ALIVE and are healing and going home or are home. That was my job!
Post a Comment
<< Home