Allah's gonna be pissed
Over the last few days I've made friends with a few Iraqi soldiers and an interpreter. Today they gave me a complete Iraqi Army uniform which was pretty cool. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but it's kind of a neat souvenir to take home when this is all over with. One of the Iraqis saw a tattoo I have on my arm and wanted to know where he could get one. I brought him a tattoo magazine that a friend of mine had and the soldier picked out a picture of a heart with a dagger through it as the design he wanted on his arm. I guess there is a female medic around here someplace who tattoos, so I'm going to try to introduce them. The interpreter told me that tattoos are forbidden by Islam and that the soldier would be in trouble if he went through with it. I asked him why he wants one if it will get him in trouble. He told me that he didn't care if people were angry, it's his body and it's his decision. Fair enough. I’m not sure how I feel about contributing to his cultural rebellion, but I’ll probably do it anyway.


9 Comments:
Hi there, just dropping in to say how much I appreciate your service to the country. My husband is outside Baghdad for a year (Military contractor) and I really have enjoyed reading your blog. I will be back everyday to keep up with you. You are in my prayers.
Dreammy
Hi there, just dropping in to say how much I appreciate your service to the country. My husband is outside Baghdad for a year (Military contractor) and I really have enjoyed reading your blog. I will be back everyday to keep up with you. You are in my prayers.
Dreammy
Hi there, just dropping in to say how much I appreciate your service to the country. My husband is outside Baghdad for a year (Military contractor) and I really have enjoyed reading your blog. I will be back everyday to keep up with you. You are in my prayers.
Dreammy
Joey, I thought your secret CIA mission was to foster cultural rebellion?
Keep up the good work man!
Andrew G.
Brother,
Haha keep at it man, show those folks that tattoo's are cool! You should explain to him the significance of the one on your lower back.
Today is my birthday and I am spending it studying for tests and trying to fix the damn dish washer. I love you man, keep making friends and stay out of trouble.
Tuck
JOEY!! What a hoot! I don't think I'll see anything
like this on CNN or FOX NEWS!
I read your posts everyday and still pray for
you every single day.
Much love,
Nancy
In English it's typically spelled Allah (with an 'H'). Yeah, Islam has a thing about images. No pictures of Mohammed. No pictures of lots of things, actually. On the more extreme end ... no pictures at all. So this guy putting your devil picture on his flesh might have some explaining to do. I think Allah would forgive him, but the local freaks who claim to represent Allah would probably skin him alive. (And you too -- so I'm glad you travel in large, well-armed groups).
JoeMama! You look pretty burly with that rifle in your arms. I could still take you though...don't ever forget that. If the locals are giving you gifts can I put in a request? Bazooka, switchblade, brass knuckles...oh wait...you already have all that in Matt's garage.
love you Joe, keep on keepin on
TyDbowl
ah, yes...he's going to be so upset. But if the work is good, he'll be stoked...or...err. Anyways, gosh i miss you. it sucks because i'm so damn emotional i start crying everytime i see a picture of you..but the picture of elmo made it all better. you're doing an awesome thing...hooking up soldiers with tattoos and all...love you joeycoon, always will...oh and chris says hi too...he just doesn't know it yet. -LACEYANNCONE
Post a Comment
<< Home