Thursday, March 03, 2005

Our turn

The last week or so has been very hectic. We have now completely taken over and the unit that we have replaced is on the way back home. We’re in a transition period right now where we are figuring out how to balance our time between missions. We frequently miss meals and lose sleep, but we are taking charge and doing our job well. Our mission consists of many different jobs, but to put it simply we are the 911 for this area. If another unit gets into trouble or if the camp is being attacked we are the ones they call to take care of it. In this game it is always better to be on the offense instead of the defense. That's why I think our job is a good one. We know something is the matter ahead of time, or else they wouldn’t call us up. I personally feel much safer, though I realize that it might not sound like a very good situation to others. We’re always ready for the worst. Thus far the majority of calls have concerned suspected car bombs or some yahoos driving around shooting at our guard towers. The worst part of our job is the schedule we have to keep. Because we are always on-call in some form or another it is often difficult to do essential things like eat and sleep. Luxuries such as working out, checking email and calling home are often out of the question. As we settle in to our new home and our new responsibilities I’m sure that things will work themselves out and that we’ll find ways to get everything done.

5 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

If smarts and good attitude count, you're going to bring that land to peace all by yourself. (Don't try this at home!)

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey little bro! I miss you and love you. You make me so proud and smile everytime I hear or read about what you are doing over there. Keep it up. Just to keep you posted we have Casey's Mom and Sister working on this shoe project and they already have some shoes!! I think that you will have shoes coming out your ears before long!! :) I love you!

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe-wow, you guys do sound busy. I know that can be a good thing too! We loved the group pic of you guys for Joshua. His mom and dad will not believe that a group of you guys took the time to put together such a greeting to little Joshua! As Nicole said, you're going to have "loads of gifts" coming your way to give out to the Iraqi children. My love & prayers, Momma xoxo

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joey,
I just wanted to say hello and how much we all miss you here. Yesterday at the dentist's office both the dentist and tech said to say 'thank you' for them next time I talked to you. I just wanted to pass that along because it meant a lot to me for them to say that, and it holds true not only for you but for all the troops. Love you much and can't wait until you're home safe. Leona

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe .... Casey's mom here ... you guys are amazing ... you have me "hooked" on your "journal of life" as you are experiencing it right now ....
Sunset School 5th Graders are sooo excited and have our "kickin' in for the kids" shoe project in high gear .... Am so excited to do a small part to help you guys out and fulfill your wish to give all of your little Elmo's these gifts.
Prayers and "good vibes" are with you 24/7 ....
Take good care .... Will write more later ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home