Wake up call
At dinner chow the other night I spoke with a surgeon who treats badly wounded soldiers and also acts as a coroner when the dead are being sent home. He sees the day to day cost of war more closely than most. He sees just how constant the violence is here. I spent the day watching movies and exploring the camp while this doctor had to perform emergency surgery on a soldier who was wounded in an IED blast. The soldier had both of his legs ripped open and had a badly fractured arm. The only thing he asked the doctor was how soon he’d be able to get back to his unit. The doctor said that if his job has shown him anything it has shown him the dedication and loyalty of the American soldier. When I got up from the chow table to leave I told the doc goodbye and that I hope to see him around. He looked at my kindly and said that he was glad to meet me and that he hopes, for both of our sakes, that he never sees me again.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home