Sunday, February 20, 2005

We have arrived (Part XXXIII)

I have finally arrived at the camp I'll be staying at for the rest of this deployment. From the exploring I've been able to do thus far it seems like a pretty nice place with lots of stuff to keep us entertained for the next several months. The Army has out done itself with the luxuries that it has been able to provide here. We have a few small movie theaters, pools, recreation centers and even a mini-golf course. There will be plenty to do to help us unwind during our off hours. Another improvement is the food. Of all the chow halls we've eaten at since this deployment began, this one has the best food. At breakfast they will actually make your ham and cheese omelet in front of you. For lunch you can get a sub-sandwich made on freshly baked bread, and I'm told that every Sunday night they serve shrimp and lobster. Most of us have never eaten so much in our lives. As a college kid I'm used to only eating what I can afford, which usually wasn't much. The quality of food is a good moral boost. Thankfully it isn't anything like the garbage they fed us in Louisiana.

We're staying in tents again, of course, but plan on moving into our permanent barracks within the next few weeks. We're told they are extremely dirty, but that they have lots of potential. We're going to work hard to clean them up and make them our own. A few of us have even gotten the go-ahead to built a mini skateboard ramp in the courtyard. With any luck we'll all brake our ankles and be home before you know it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home