Saturday, November 19, 2005


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Civil Affairs office gave us a bunch of stuff to hand out to the children, including these backpacks complete with school supplies, toys and candy. Unfortunately these three (Rafudi, Nahren and Sajoey) don't go to school. And despite their promises to the contrary, it is unlikely that they will start anytime soon.

For a while now I've been trying to think of ways to stay in contact with these kids (and their sisters Saham, irjoey and Shara) after I return to the States. Without a telephone, internet connection or even a reliable postal system there doesn't look to be any simple solution. I'm considering writing a letter to their father (we've never met) to ask how I can continue to help his family from back home. Any thoughts?

5 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe through rotation troops. I know some guys do it through web cam (VERY hard to organize, but a possibility all the same). Maybe you can ask the replacement troops to bring them mail and pick up mail from them? Maybe something like that.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you. It seems so long between blogs. Still praying for you. I will keep thinking of how we can help these kids from the States.
Faye in Central Point.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

I agree on working through whoever replaces you. The trick is finding someone who reaaly means it when they say yes, instead of someone who'll say yes and then just never quite get around to it, and start resenting you for asking.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should talk to civil affairs. They might be able help.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you in Baghdad? My son is returning there in a few weeks, and if he can find them, he would keep you updated and we sendthings for the kids when he goes over, so they would still have a connection to you. He might be able to hand them off to the next repalcements when he comes home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home