No illusions
In less than two weeks insurgent attacks have killed more than 300 people, the vast majority of which were Iraqi civilians. In one coordinated attack (near our area of operation) a suicide bomber drove a car filled with explosives into a crowded vegetable market and detonated. As people rushed to the scene to help the wounded another vehicle parked nearby exploded. At the same time a parked car exploded outside of a bank on a busy commercial avenue not far away. As the dust settled 102 people lay dead, 13 of them children.
A few days ago I spoke at length with an older Iraqi gentleman about the recent increase in violence. We spoke of insurgents’ determination to step up attacks against the Shiite population during Ramadan in an effort to derail the upcoming constitutional referendum. When the man spoke of the insurgency he spoke with hatred and frustration. “These men are cowards,” he said. “They claim to be fighting the American occupation and the new Iraqi government but they just kill their own people. They blow up restaurants and mosques. They murder women and children.”
I think that this is a view commonly held by the Iraqi people (in particular, and for obvious reasons, by the Shia). These insurgents (or, as those who target civilians should more accurately called, terrorists) are not revered as heroes or martyrs but simply as murders. They are not freedom fighters but merely an obstacle to freedom and any hope of a secure and prosperous country.
The holiday of Ramadan is a very sacred month when Islamic men and women reflect on being better Muslims. They come together at night as families and as communities and celebrate their faith. But for a minority, consisting of overzealous fundamentalists, Ramadan is an opportunity to promote their causes through fear and bloodshed. Unfortunately it is other Iraqis who bare the brunt of this maniacal and twisted world view.


2 Comments:
I have been curious about how you relate to being in the military when (I think) you are a Libertarian. Must be quite a dynamic contrast to be in a large, coercive, government organization utilizing force in the stated pursuit of freedom. I'm sure you have worked it all out, but it must be staggering, sometimes, to find yourself there. I admire your intellectual and emotional courage in being able to integrate all this.
The question is whether these savage tactics will get the bad guys the control over Iraq that they seek. I respect your dedication to peace and security, and I'm sure many of the Iraqis you talk to appreciate it as well. Good job. Unfortunately, I think that history and current events (and logic) show us that the balance is tipped in favor of the bad guys, and that the US pouring more people and effort into Iraq will not correct that momentum. If anything, it may add to it.
It's hard to say this to a soldier in harm's way. However, since I am just one person in a nation of 300 million, in a very complex and inertial world, I realize that it would be pointless for me to say "pull out" or "stay the course." If we stay there'll be suffering, and if we leave there'll be suffering. History will run it's course, but while it does, I am glad a good, conscientious person like you is representing my country in that maelstrom.
Amen. Do the right thing, Joey, and then come home safe and sound. We (and the Iraqis) can be thankful that, since you're there, you've shown yourself to be so mindful of what used to be called "doing the right thing."
Post a Comment
<< Home