Too close
Let me preface this post by saying that everyone in the platoon is safe and whole. All appendages remain firmly in their correct places. I advise family members of this unit to skip this post entirely and instead go look at some of the pictures of cute children featured below.
A few days ago one of our trucks took a direct hit from a road side bomb. My platoon was on a night patrol in a nearby town, while the Iraqi Forces secured the election polling sites, when one of our rigs drove over the wrong stretch of road at the wrong time. The humvee hit the bomb but by mere chance I was not inside of it at the time. I was elsewhere with other members of the platoon and when the word reached us that my truck had been hit I was a few kilometers away. There was some miscommunication at first over the radio that the vehicle was destroyed and that there were “multiple casualties.” For twenty minutes I laid in a trench believing that some of my closest friends were dying. I kept muttering to myself “take care of each other boys,” hoping they were treating each other’s wounds and hold on until we could get them evacuated. After that 20 minutes, I received word none was injured. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more relieved in my life.
As the mission began, just outside the gate, my crew and I performed a good luck ritual which we have used religiously for several months now. We sing an old Irish drinking song (you know the one, “Hi da diddly di da dum…”) into our headsets before each mission. We tell ourselves that we do it for good luck but more than anything else we do it to break the tension with a good laugh.
I remember having a bad feeling about this particular patrol as we left but assumed that if anyone got into some trouble it would be the guys walking through the village and not the ones who stayed with the trucks. When I jumped out of our vehicle my squad leader looked at me and said “have fun and be careful”. Fifteen minutes later the truck was hit. In hindsight I should have been the one giving him the warning.
If I had remained in the vehicle I would have been seated very close to the impact. From my squad leader’s description, my seat took the majority of the blast. While he’s pretty sure I would have avoided the shrapnel, in his eloquent words I definitely would have gotten a “diesel enema” as the bomb tore through the fuel tank.
Luckily everyone walked away unscathed. The situation could have been much worse. Instead of joking about the incident the next morning (as we did) we would have held a memorial service for our friends.
Later that night when we returned from the mission and left the chaos behind I was talking to Phil, the gunner for our truck who was in it when it was hit. I complained that our good luck song didn’t work. He looked at me very seriously and said, “No Joey, the song could not have worked any better. We’re all home safe.”
Now, days after the incident, our attitudes have changed. We are more cautious and focused than we were before. The whole people-trying-to-kill-you thing can be a bit unsettling. While it was far from the first time that we have had to deal with the notion, it was definitely the closest we have come to losing people to serious injury. We don’t need or want anymore war stories. But whether you go looking for it or not, sometimes the action finds you. We want only to finish our mission here and make sure every one of us gets home to their loved ones.


19 Comments:
Once again one of your stories made me cry. It made me sad, happy, and proud. Sad because you guys are going through this. Happy because you are all safe. Proud that people like you and my brother are there protecting us. Reading your journal always puts my life back into prospective. I am so lucky, no matter how much I may think my life sucks sometimes, and you always remind me of that.
Thank you,
Joney
Joe,
Its Nick Bellows. Thank you. I cannot express my gratitude for what you are doing. I wish you the all the luck in the world. I'm so happy that everyone's safe. You get home soon okay? I love you brother.
Hi Joe,
Glad to see not only you, but your platoon made ith through the bomb. We continue to pray for your safe return when your time there if finished.
Uncle Chuck (Charley)
Coon,
That's a crazy story brother...I was sitting on the edge of my seat reading it. I'm praying for you and your boys every day Joe, and I'm not the only one.
Love you man
Tuck
I still think it would be rad if you had a peg leg
tyd
Son-Life has always been a moment-by-moment journey, but your situation causes all of you to live on the "edge" of that journey every moment of every day...
As always we keep you and ALL soldiers serving our country in our prayers. Stay alert, calm and safe. My love, Momma xoxo
I hope the luck keeps up until you're back safe.
Joe, stay safe, man. I look forward to meeting you on this side.
Thanks for risking everything to do your duty. Keep singing the good luck song. Since your superiors approve your blog posts before they go out, I am surprised that they let you write anything about the effectiveness or lack thereof, of the IED. But what do I know. I am so glad that you are all safe. Stay that way, be alert, and relax.
Sarge & Company, Very jubilant that your close call ended up without serious harm! Nerve damage is apparent from the posts above, both here and there I assume. I'm very glad to see what I believe is another example of the great but mysterious power of prayer! You've obviously got guardian angels working overtime at God's behest. Conversely, I would caution against putting too much 'faith' in the protective powers of ethnic drinking songs from any of our ancestral points of origin (in fact, the next morning has, for me at least, usually been a sad testimony to their 'protective powers'). YOU ARE LOVED! Uncle Petee ....“Hi da diddly di da dum…”.....
hiiiii da diddly di da dum di da do da di da dum di da do di diddly di daaaaay!
I must say, for the past few months I would sit in my Vehicle Commander seat and just laugh when the "boys" would sing their Irish Drinking Song.
As we left on our mission the night of the BooM! I decided I would give it a try myself. So, for the very first time, I too sang the song with them. I didn't do very well and only got about half of it right, but that half was obviously enough. Funny thing is, only half of the bomb exploded under our truck. If only I got the whole song right... hmmm...
So, with all my parts where they belong and a new appreciation for Ireland, I have rededicated myself to learning the whole song, and at at least Joey, Phil and I are going to learn the real lyrics as well.
On a serious note, as Joey's squad leader and vehicle commander, I was very thankful that his mission was dismounted that night. The next day, when I looked at our ravaged truck, I could only imagine how much worse it would have been had the rear seats still been occupied. I thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers, and I know that it was God who kept the other three warriors safe.
What was it like? You may be wondering... well, I can sum it up in two words: Loud and Loud!
SSG B.
God Bless you all and keep you safe until your return home. Next to the day you were born it will be the happiest day in your parents life.
I can only barely imagine what was going through your mind during that time.
You have a lot of people rooting for you, but the most important one is yourself, followed by the people around you. Please always be alert and never, ever let your guard down. When you get back I'll treat you to one of the best dinners you've ever had (at least, one of the best that's not cooked by your mom or other family members, of course).
You always keep us guessing, don't you?? It's stories like these that you're supposed to call me and say, "Whatever you do, don't read my blog today." I try to just scan through and look for happy headlines and smiling children in pictures. You're just eating marshmallows and sliding down rainbows, right? (Hi diddly di dum...) The important thing: be so so so so careful, and think before you act. Most important: get home and get your mates home all in one piece. PLEASE! Take care, I love you to pieces.
Megs
To "Soldier's Mom": While there are many people in this world who do not directly have family members in Iraq and elsewhere, many of us do have people we love (Joey being ours) in danger in the Middle East every day. We feel your pain, and theirs, and think of you daily. A day doesn't go by that I don't say a prayer for Joey and his pals and their families. We may never know the extreme anxiety and fear you must feel each day, but please know that there are many of us all over the world who feel for all the families of our soldiers each and every day and pray for their safe return to your welcoming arms. Please keep them safe, healthy and happy and return them to their families safely, healthily and happily. We love you, Joey! Pam
I'm going to read your entire blog at some point in time, but not now, because I have a midterm in twenty minutes. Bye.
My nephew just returned from Iraq last Thurs safe and sound. I pray every day for you that you and your fellow soldiers are able to come home safe and sound soon.
Faye
My husband was with you that night and I have to say that sending him home yesterday after having him for 2 weeks is one of the hardest things I had to do - because of that night. Your blog is an awesome reflection of the amazing things you guys are doing over there and I will continue to pray for you all - come home soon and take care of the Captain for me!!
Post a Comment
<< Home