Everyone needs a nemesis
So there I was pulling security with another soldier, minding my own business, when someone decided that they’d like to send a bullet or two our way. This was the second time I have been shot at while occupying this particular area. I think I need to find a new hang out spot. I guess one man’s observation position is another man’s shooting gallery. While in Iraq I have heard gun fire countless times. After a while you hear the telltale “Pop” and hardly feel inclined to turn your head. But it’s a much different story when the rounds are coming at you. There is a very obvious difference in the sound of just another stray round and one that was meant specifically for you. Stated simply, it’s a difference between a “pop” and a “wiz”. A bullet flying anywhere near your head makes a high pitched screaming sound that lets you know right away that it’s time to lay low. I mean literally low; like on your belly with your face in the dirt. On this particular occasion I was able to get my head below a four inch high concrete wall (more of a curb really). I would have preferred a bit more cover but sometimes you just have to take what you can get, and I was more than pleased to have even that between my noggin and the shooter. Unfortunately, as is frequently the case, I was unable to locate the SOB through my scope. Bad guys don’t make a habit of shooting at you from a wide open field with bull’s-eyes painted on their chests. Since this was not the first time that someone from that area has taken a potshot at me, I have decided (with my wild imagination) that it’s the same guy. I have finally found a nemesis. All good action stars and super heroes have them, so I figured I might like to have one too. Every time we drive past that village I shake my fist at it, imagining that he’s out there somewhere, watching and waiting. We have established a not-so-friendly game of tag. I realize that this cat and mouse relationship is a figment of my imagination. I’m sure that it was just one random encounter among many. But everyone needs a nemesis from time to time.


2 Comments:
I don't know jack about soldiering (not jack), but this post makes me wonder if there is a way to quietly pre-position someones (a special forces team maybe) just beyond the shooter's location before you guys go out there to get shot at. Then they can observe the shooter's location. This probably just reveals my ignorance.
hey kid, watch out for the ones that "whiz" please.... i'd like to go to uncle Johns for pizza with you a few more times....
Post a Comment
<< Home