Thursday, September 01, 2005

The chink in our armor

Yesterday three of my friends were sent on a dismounted patrol in a nearby village. That basically means they had to stroll around on foot, completely exposed, in a hostile area. Tonight they are all bed ridden, trying desperately to recuperate from wounds associated with that mission. They weren’t casualties of enemy bullets or shrapnel. No, what they suffer from is far more dangerous, far more unavoidable; a local entrée known as falafel. While on patrol they stopped at a local lunch stand, lured by the siren’s song of a tasty lentil and garbanzo bean based meal. Fast forward twenty-four hours and you’ll find each of the three vomiting; arms wrapped around the base of a toilet. Not much fun at all. In the beginning, when we were told not to eat the local cuisine we thought it more of a guideline than a strict rule. Apparently some of us took this advice more lightly than others. I’ve braved the occasional Iraqi produce (grapes, watermelon, tomato, cantaloupe, etc.), and an elaborate rice dish, without consequence. But apparently it’s the meat products and fried foods that will getcha. I’m sure my friends will be able to walk upright in a day or two, but believe me when I say they have suffered. I’d like to tell you that their misfortune has taught me something; that I’ve learned a lesson. But damnit if I don’t love falafel too. Even knowing the pain I would experience, I don’t think I could resist those sumptuous meatball-like morsels. And that’s what makes this place so terrible; it takes what you love most and turns it against you.

4 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Joseph-
I think of you all the time and wonder how you are. I am so glad you sent me a friendster email. I am just glad to know you are safe. I would love to send you a letter or a care package, if you can receive those things. I also have a blog, if you would have time to read it. lizzielaroo.blogspot.com. It is about my life in Las Vegas, which is where I live now.
Love,
lizbeth

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont read joeys blog that much but when i do its like a book that you cant put down. joe writes really really really (etc.) good. i am one of those sick soldiers and let me tell you...those were some good falafuls. but ive-literally-NEVER been that sick in my life. i wanted to die at the height of my sickness. that was like the flu times 10 but it only lasted for about 2 days.so im good now and its time to get back to work. PEACE!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger brainhell said...

Yeah, maybe your mom or someone can mail you some falafel mix and pita bread. It's simple enough to make.

They just need to develop a ready-mix that can be rapidly prepared using the energy from an IED.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember that if you eat the local cuisine, you'll fel-awful later on. (I've been there, too. Death seems awfully tempting when you've picked up a nasty little intestinal parasite or two.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home