Saturday, June 18, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Operation "Put Shoes On Every Iraqi Child's Feet" has been going well. Despite our best efforts we still have boxes of shoes stacked to the ceiling. As even more shoes are on their way here, I have no doubt that we'll be giving them out up until the moment we leave this place for good.


We take at least a few boxes of goodies with us out on every patrol. If the opportunity presents itself and we are able to do it safely, we stop and hand out shoes and clothing. It's always a bit of a feeding frenzy, but I think it's been getting better. The more kids that I know personally the more little helpers I have to keep the other kids organized and sane. Every now and then we meet a nice family and deliver a special box to them. I've been making quite a few custom packages these days filled with a combination of shoes, clothing, toys and food. They always welcome us warmly and seem to appreciate the helping hand. We are able to converse with the man of the house while the youngsters run beneath our feet playing with their new loot. The young women often stand to the side blushing, smiling into their open hand as they try to conceal their amusement. When we ask to take a picture with the family the ladies usually try and escape into the house (as it is not proper for men to photograph them) but the father often eases their worries and calls them back out to join us. I am often hesitant to take photos that include women or young girls unless they are responsive and the men seem not to mind. Our intention with the boxes is to do good and I would hate to cause offense.

As is evident by the 1,200 pairs and all of the smiles, the shoe drive has been more successful than I had imagined. The shoes not only make the Iraqis happy, but they given us soldiers something positive and rewarding to do. I am grateful to all of the people back home who made this happen. I continue to take pictures and will post them as I am able. You all deserve to see the smiles that you are responsible for.

Photo taken by Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home