Monday, June 06, 2005

The forever kind

I’m not sure how many of you know this, but I was not always in the platoon that I am now in. During all the training leading up to this deployment I was a member of 2nd platoon. It was a very sad day for me when 2nd was broken apart and its members scattered among the other platoons. Many great friendships were created throughout those months of training. Though we are all still in the same unit we don’t often get a chance to get together and talk like we once did. Our schedules, the fact that we live in different buildings, and the nature of our mission make it difficult to spend time hanging out. Sometimes the only time I see my friends is as our vehicles pass on our way to or from a mission. It’s funny, sometimes they only know what I’ve been up to because one of their loved ones reads this blog and talk to them about it over the phone.

Don’t get me wrong, I love many of the guys in my “new’ platoon like brothers. We have been through a lot together already and depend on one another for our very lives. But still, I miss the days when all of the platoons were like family and we were all in this together. I know that before long we’ll all be back home drinking a beer together, laughing about the times we shared.

3 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Leann said...

I wondered how that must affect moral. There have been several people here in the Oregon unit that left LaGrande that were reassigned at the last minute. I'm sure it's difficult to fit in and rebuild that commraderie with a new unit.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, so good to have you back - missed you the last few weeks. Wonderful to hear about the good work you are doing. Happy belated birthday!
Melissa

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

Sobel?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home