Friday, June 10, 2005

Gozar welcomes Big Brother to the staff

As is probably evident by my last few posts, we are back in business. For those of you who worried that the First Amendment had been revoked, rest assured it has not. There are a few more hurdles and steps in the posting process (for instance I’d require the approval of a “full bird” to publish a photo of my left toe), but this site returns otherwise unscathed.

Life is not always simple, and it can often be complicated to balance competing desires and the consequences that result from them. As is evident in my case. On the one hand, as a warm blooded American, the desire to say whatever the hell I want. On the other hand, as an employee of “the Man,” the desire to avoid ending up in Guantanamo with a hood over my head. On this one I’m going to be pragmatic (not often my strong suit as I am stubborn and bull headed) and take the middle ground.

My commander worked very hard and spent much of his time helping me to make sure that this blog continues. Though I am not ecstatic that I must get his approval for each post before it is published, I am reassured by the fact that he is a fair man. I am confident that he will let me write just as I always have so long as I refrain from publishing grid coordinates to the Operations Center or some other such violation of operational security. It isn’t an ideal situation, but it sure beats the alternatives. Besides, I used to run a college magazine, so I’m used to dealing with editors. God knows I could use the help with my spelling and punctuation.

12 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your blog is back in business Joey. Everyone here at Cascade is (are?) proud of what you're doing. When you find a good editor, send them our way too!!!

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,first I would like to thank your commander for helping to bring Gozar back! His family and friends appreciate it more than you know. Second, Welcome back little bro! I know that it may not be the ideal situation, but most things in life aren't the ideal, but they are still wonderful all the same! I love you, take care and it is good to have you back. I have to add that I am proud of you as well. Keep it up.
Love, Nikki

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an editor.. it's "is"

:)

Good to have the blog back

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From time to time your dad will forward an email to everyone, giving either updates or good/bad news concerning you. (I’m sure you already know this). Anyway, the subject of the latest email, “Gozar returns,” made me laugh out load for so long. In case you don’t remember the origins of your blog name, and the monologue Swoops and I memorized, Gozer the traveler always returns in a different shape – e.g. during the rectification of the Vuldronii, he came as a large, moving Torb! So when I clicked on the email, I was really hoping to discover that you’d turned into a giant Sloar, or perhaps one of the other pre-chosen forms. Unfortunately that’s not the case. Nevertheless I’m happy to still know an active blogger and will continue to anticipate you new entries daily.
Stay safe, Joe
Matty B

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very glad to have you back, even with some someone peering over your shoulder. Just think of him as another reader. :)

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have Gozar back! My family reads it all the time and there was alot of anger going around the Nortwest when it was shut down! You bring Iraq to life for all of the family members in the states who are worrying about their loved ones. It lets Americans see the good things you are doing over there, instead of just the bombings and gunfire. People over here don't get to see the kind of pitures that are posted on your site through the media. We need to see more of it so more Americans will understand that there is more to this war. There are children over there who will remember the good things the US soldiers did for them and even if it only causes one child over there to turn into a caring adult, it will be worth it. The children are the ones who are hurt the most by the country they live in and have the most to gain by the Americans being over there! Welcome back Gozar, and keep the pictures coming so we can educate more Americans who don't understand. I have never liked the reason why my brother and the rest of you are over there, but at least something good can come out of a war that you shouldn't have been put in to begin with. Thanks to all of you who give up your families at home to defend our country. I wish more Americans would tell you that. I don't agree with this war either, but I do understand that the soldiers have to be there whether the civilians agree with it or not, and I do understand what they risk every day for us. Say hi to my brother if you see him!

-Jessica (Jeff G's sis)

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't hear about your blog until the past week or so...I wish I would have tuned in sooner! I am very impressed. You've got some of Mike's pictures on here that I hadn't even seen yet, you sneaky devil! :) Keep up the good work; I will definitely be a faithful reader.

Miranda (LT Smith's wife)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

You might try posting some fake grid coordinates and then watch the fireworks in the desert. Welcome back.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Leann said...

Welcome back online Joey. It's nice to see you'll be able to keep us all posted as to what's going on over there. I have a co-worker/friend in the 116 bravo company who we worry about daily. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

Gozar, personally I am curious to hear about what made you dec ide to sign up. I have read your entire blog and to my knowledge, that's not in there.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son, you bring laughter into my life as your Father has for the last 22 years. Good idea, stay the "middle ground." I know it doesn't come naturally! Your teenage years were not all that long ago and "middle ground" was NOT something your brain could wrap itself around...hehehe ;-) As always, my love, prayers and commitment, Momma xoxo

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I am not sure that you're taking the 'middle ground' in how you are conducting your comments. Most of us, when we were your age, wanted to save the world and thought our way was the best and the only alternative. Luckily, we have had mentors who pulled us aside and told us to listen, watch and learn from those who have the experience and the wisdom that comes. Grandpa Harold use to say how much smarter he got as your mother, Auntie Vickie and I got older. Your commander sounds like a wise, caring person and perhaps a good mentor.

We all are just relieved to have back this contact with you so thanks for following the new rules.

I enjoyed hearing about your roomie, his baby and your original platoon. How's that new guitar doing? Are you thinking about getting a band together? How about writing a song about your feelings? Being a soldier and the Iraq shoe distributor are two big stressful jobs. Have some fun with your guitar.

Stubborn and bullheaded are you! I believe that runs in the family and that isn't a bad thing always. Love Auntie Memmer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home