Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Another chapter soon to close

My training at the Joint Readiness training Center (JRTC) here in Louisiana is now complete. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was very disappointed with the level of training we received. Some other units, and even a few platoons within my own unit, learned quite a lot and had a good experience here. That was not the case with my platoon however. For no reason in particular we were left with menial missions and did not receive much attention at all. Of the hundreds of “enemy soldiers” that the training center employs, I didn’t see a one. We were never attacked or forced to react to aggression of any kind. While I hope sincerely that this will also be the case in Iraq, the reality is that we will be forced to deal with difficult and scary situations. When and if that happens I want to be prepared. That is supposed to be what JRTC is all about, preparing you for the worst. Instead it felt like I was playing hide and seek only to learn that no one was seeking. I’m not sure if that was caused by the training center itself or the higher ups in my chain of command, but either way it is unacceptable. American soldiers asked to fight overseas deserve the best and that should be reflected in the training they receive as well as equipment. Luckily, the most important training I’ll encounter has yet to come. The best way to learn a job is to be taught by those who have been doing it before you. When I arrive in country (and I still have no idea when or where that might be) I’ll be able to interact with the soldiers we’ll be replacing. That is what I’m looking forward to most. That is when I find out what works and what doesn’t. Until then we will all continue to practice our drills and test one another on what we have learned over the last several months. I know, when given the chance, that we will accomplish great things.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger brainhell said...

If attitude and maturity alone were armor, you're safe.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your disappointment in your recent raining is understandable, but your comments prove that, in many counting ways, you have already learned more than most of us do in a lifetime.

Gramps

 

Post a Comment

<< Home