Monday, December 06, 2004

Jinxed myself

Last post I wrote that training was almost complete “and then it's time to sit around and do nothing for awhile.” Somehow, in typing that last part I insured that I would not be relaxing but would instead have to continue toiling away. It has come to pass. I have been “volunteered” as one of five guys who will spend the next ten days loading our unit’s gear onto train cars. I’m not sure what I did to piss off the powers-that-be to receive this job, but whatever I did must have been bad. Now I’m staying back at the camp I first lived in when I arrived in Texas. We’ve given up the tin shed and are back to the leaky circus tent. On the bright side, I now have full bars of cell phone service, so after three months I’m finally getting some use out of the 60 bucks I pay a month. Also, I’ll be able to use my air card to get onto the internet anytime I want. I’ve lost the excuse that I can’t get online, so if I don’t email you back it must just be because I’m a lazy jerk.

While we’re here we’ll probably be working at the train yard for ten or twelve hours a day. When we get off, though, we are free to do whatever we want. They’ve given us a car that we can use to go out to dinner at night or, if we get some time, go Christmas shopping. So this situation isn’t all bad. I’d much rather be relaxing with my bros back at the shed, but a little freedom might be nice too. All missions have ended and we’re on the home stretch. A couple weeks left and I’m on parole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home