Saturday, November 20, 2004

High speed first aid

A few days ago we took a “Combat Lifesaver’s Course.” It was essentially an advanced first-aid class to enable us to administer aid to an injured buddy while we wait for a field medic to arrive. It was definitely a class I took lots of notes in. For obvious reasons, we had a very real incentive to make sure the guy sitting next to us was awake and paying attention as well. The highlight of the class was the section on IVs. There was a small set of instruction on the ins and outs of sticking a needle in your friends arm and then we actually practiced what we learned. I went first, and picked out a nice juicy vein on the inside of Meat Bucket’s arm (unfortunate nickname). I prepped the needle and bag of saline and slid the needle and catheter into his arm. I got it first try. Didn’t even spill a drop of blood. Next was his turn to exact revenge on me. On is first try he messed up trying to slide the catheter into my vein. He had to abort my right arm and give it another try on my left. I wasn’t thrilled. This time he hit the vein perfectly, but when he slid the catheter in I erupted like a freaking volcano. It’s a strange feeling to watch as your own blood flows like a fountain out of you. You’d think that a person would freak out more, but it’s somehow entertaining to watch. Eventually using both his hand and mine we applied enough pressure to stop the bleeding and he hooked up the rest of the gear. It was a great class and I think I learned quite a bit. The following day I had a chance to use what I learned in a more realistic situation. The instructors had one of the medics lying on the ground by a hummvee. When I got to him he had “blood” all over his right shoulder from a “bullet wound,” and was going into shock. When I sat beside him and called his name to check for responsiveness he turned his head and spit a mouthful of “blood” all over my lap (asshole, I had just done my laundry too). To make a long story sort, we had to bandage his wounds and keep him from going into shock while under enemy fire. I had to stick him with an IV which wasn’t easy with him lying in the dirt as gun fire went off around us. It was great training. Admittedly, I was nervous as hell to stick that needle in his arm. It’s difficult to keep a clear head in a realistic combat situation. The more we practice the more comfortable we’ll feel and the closer to second nature administering aid will become. Hopefully the bigwigs who make decisions around here will integrate these kinds of situations into our regular training.

In other news, yesterday we went to the drive-by shooting range. We had to fire our M4’s while seated in the back of a 5-ton truck. It’s hard as hell to shoot straight while being thrown around in the back of a vehicle as it speeds down a dirt road. It was definitely an interesting experience, not one you’re likely to repeat this side of Compton, but I don’t think it’s a skill I’ll be honing any time soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home