Thursday, December 02, 2004

I still can't feel my feet

The last few days have been trying ones. We had a big mission that required myself and a few others to go out an entire day early. Our job was to find a nice concealed place from which to look down on a large bunker and call in any information we could gather or report enemy activity. Setting up the camouflaged observation point was fun. We could see just about everything for miles, but it was nearly impossible to see our position even from very close. I'm still kinda proud of the job we did on it and wish we had taken a picture or two. The part of the mission that tried my patience was the part where I froze my ass off outside for two days. At night the temp dropped into the teens with a wind-chill of about 7 degrees. Not fun. I'm surprised I didn't lose any fingers or toes to frostbite, seriously. On the positive side though, the information our team was able to gather was essential for the success of the main mission. We got to be the eyes and ears for the unit, and it always feels good to know that your effort play a part in making sure that we accomplish our objective safely and effectively.

In other news, we are all eagerly waiting to find out where in Iraq the Army plans to send us and what we will primarily be doing there. I'm sure that somebody on high knows, and it's only a matter of time before they pass that info on down to the rest of us. They better do it soon though. We're kind of getting down to crunch time, and I feel very strongly that every soldier should be privy to such important information before we actually arrive in the country. Unfortunately, the Army doesn't always see it my way. No one here is really sure when they will tell us, but we all hope it is very soon. When I do finally find out I won't be able to write about it on this sight. The Army is not a big fan of leaking information that the bad guys might find useful. I will be sure to let everyone know as soon as they allows us to though.

There are only a few more days of missions left and then it's time to sit around and do nothing for awhile. I'm looking forward to the inactivity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home