Sunday, October 03, 2004

I've been adopted

I’ve recently been “adopted” by sixth grade class from Colorado. It’s pretty awesome. They sent me a package that I received this Friday. It was filled with all kinds of snacks and a bunch of good books. By far the best thing in the box was the stack of letters from the kids. I read them for the first time after lights out, hunched over with my flashlight with a goofy grin on my face. The kids all wrote great letters. They sound like really bright, funny eleven year olds. They began their letters by telling me about themselves and then asked a bunch of questions about who I am, what I like, and what my thoughts and feelings are about going to Iraq. I’m going to write the class a long letter this afternoon to let them know that I’m excited to get to know them over the next several months. They sound like great kids.

One particularly bright student made me laugh out loud when she wrote this:
“To all censors who read this letter please continue to the end before shredding and burning my documented hopes, thoughts, information, and questions.”

And a quote from another student that made me all weepy:
"I see you as my role model, hero"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home