Thursday, September 02, 2004

So which is it really?

The Army unit that I am being deployed with is Troop F. But it isn't as simple as all that. There happens to be a bitter controversy brewing as to what our unit is truly called. Traditionally, units are distinguished first by their alphabetical designation (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...) and next by the size and nature of the unit (i.e. company, troop, battery...) A few examples that come to mind are my previous unit C Battery, or E Company from the HBO series "Band of Brothers." So following this age old formula, one would think that my current unit would be called F Troop. But those in command refuse to allow it. As I'm sure many of you are aware (especially you old folks) there use to be an old TV comedy called "F Troop" about a bungling, ragtag group of soldiers. Somehow the very existence of this show has influenced a complete change in policy. Anyone who dares yell out "F Troop" to call us to attention is immediately reminded that we are called Troop F. Personally, I'm honored to share a name with a funny TV show. I'd prefer to keep this experience as light and good natured as possible. The Army has no sense of humor.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F Troop sounds much better. And you'd have the benefit of good-humored fame. Troop F sounds like a Brownie troop.

Bronwyn
http://www.livejournal.com/~bramey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home