Sunday, August 29, 2004

Another day in paradise

Once again, sorry about the infrequent posting. As I've said, there are about a thousand soldiers here and only fourteen computers. Waiting in line for an our is a luxury that I don't have quite yet. I did, however, purchase a network card that should arrive sometime next week. When that gets here I'll be all hooked up, and will be able to use the internet anywhere that T-Mobile gets service.
So I'm in it fully swing now and am definitely getting use to this lifestyle again. Though I can think of several places I'd rather be, things are working out pretty well so far. My platoon (of 16 guys) is full of great people. I'm even more impressed with my squad (there are 4 of us). Most everyone that I'm working closely with are intelligent and capable people. I've had a good time being able to kick back with them during our down time and just laugh and have fun. The harder you try to make this place seem like back home the easier it is. I'm not training for war, I'm just hanging out with buddies! Not sure how long that little trick is going to work, but for now it's working just fine.
So far I only have one gripe about my platoon (believe me, I have several army gripes, but what soldier doesn't.). My platoon leader is an awesome guy. Very smart. Very motivated. Very capable. He's also very religious, which is not at all a problem for me, but it directly relates to my gripe. The man loves gospel music. I wake up nearly every morning to "My God is an Awesome God," or "Crucify My Love." it doesn't bother me that they happent to be religious songs, what bothers me is that it all happens to be terrible music. It really is a terrifying way to wake up at 5 am. Sometimes, when I finally get some peace and quiet during the afternoon, out comes his personal guitar for a jarring rendition of "Lord I Lift Your Name on High." It's inescapable. I'm ashamed that I become homicidal from such peaceful music, but I just can't help it.
Well, I best be going. As I've said several times now, keep checking in because I plan on posting often once I get my new computer toy. I have several great pictures to show all of you once I have the capability. Take care and I'll talk to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home