In remembrance
Today marks the three year anniversary of the day that a small group of horrible men were able to take the lives of nearly 3000 innocent Americans. Writing this from Texas, as I train for war, this day has special significance to me that it didn't quite have at any other time. Today we mourn the loss of those killed in New York, Washington D.C. and those soldiers who have and continue to die in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Our hearts ache for their family and friends left behind.


4 Comments:
Good luck when you are deployed overseas--economics and philosophy... what a great combination, they generally are opposed worlds of intellectual activity ... lately I've been trying to re-conceive a dialogue between economics and ecology (since they are both derived from the greek word oikos)
Peace
I guess they let anybody in here. Delete both these comments if you can Joe.
Kevin
Whoops, Jim slid in there while I was trying to decide if the first comment was, in fact, the most pointless and poorly placed statement ever.
I will say that the guy brings an interesting contrast.
In the somber and reflective mood that Joe's words left me, I went to this guy's blog to see who he was. The first words I saw were these:
" What's the most amount of sand you've ever had in your swimming trunks?
Probably when i was 18 years old and tried to body-surf an 8 foot wave in San Diego (my homeplace) and was slammed into the sandy bottom. "
Thankfully, the sacrifice of you and your fellows is protecting more than just this fool's right to free speech.
Perhaps when you return you can bring him back some swim trunks full of Iraqi desert sand.
9/11's memory is a vivid one for me, as perhaps everyone. Once seeing it on CNN I raced to work, sat at my desk and then began to feel completely helpless. I wanted so badly to do something to help the citizens of NY. I chose to pray for all the lives lost and for the loved ones left behind. Thank you, my son, for your commitment to our country, your courage in the certain trials ahead, and your determination to help make our world a safer place to live. Know that my love, strength and most importantly--prayers are with you! Love, Momma xxoo
Post a Comment
<< Home