Saturday, September 25, 2004

Another Saturday down

It’s about 12:30 a.m. (0030 for us hardcore military types) and I’m just getting back from a movie. A bunch of guys from my platoon went to see the movie “Collateral.” The movie sucked, but hey, we only paid 99 cents (maybe Uncle Sam’s best perk yet!). Despite the cheesy flick I had an awesome time. I’ve made some good friends here, and we try and laugh our asses off as much as possible. I imagine we’ll only get closer as time goes on. It’s really reassuring to know this early in the game that I’m going to be with a group of people that I can count on. I know that we’ll take good care of one another. It’s strange. When we first began our training over a month ago, most of us didn’t know each other at all. Very few people (close to zero I’d imagine) really wanted to begin this journey which will eventually take us to a war in Iraq, far from our friends and families. Most of these men, including myself, told their government that they were not thrilled about the prospect of fighting overseas, but that they would go if they were needed, and do their jobs well. Even though we have really only spent a short amount of time together, at this point our attitudes have changed drastically. I’ve spoken to several people in my platoon and we all agree. If tomorrow the leadership came up to one of us and said that we could go home if we wanted, we would still choose to stay. We care about each other, and I think we all feel invested in one another’s safety. None of us know what to expect, but we’re in this together. There’s no turning back now; not until each of us is home safely a year and a half from now.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, my son. This is the very attitude you will ALL need to maintain in order to accomplish your ultimate goal "to return home safely." Think positively, speak positively, react positively. Trust our Commander in Chief to do his part to end the war in Iraq--at the right time. You don't have to agree with all of his decisions. However, you must choose to RESPECT the official position he holds in our great country, The United States of America. No doubt, the challenges ahead are going to be tough. No doubt, you will face adversity. During your training time, build your team's strength NOW. Work on your weaknesses NOW. Create an unbreakable bond amongst yourselves NOW. I am proud of you and your attitude. I am proud of your platoon. Let them know they are ALL in my prayers. Love-Momma xoxo

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger gubermintcheez said...

This will be my last post here . I do not want to come off as some crazy peacenik who doesnt believe in standing up for our country. I fought in Nam . I have three brothers who fought there also. My Father fought in WW2 . I love my country and I would not hesitate to fight for her. What I dont like is the direction were heading in America. The President has been consistent in lying to the people about reasons for the war. None have came true and he has convenient excuses for each. If people would take the time to educate themselves on what Congress is doing, who theyre writing laws to benefit and how they seem to put the people last in almost every situation its clear who theyre working for- corporations . When we have subsidies which pay them to take our jobs overseas thats rather damning IMO. Why would our own government pay them to go to China and take our jobs away? Thats easy- profit. At mine and yours expense.
Look into companies like Halliburton which Cheney still gets a check from. (theyll tell you otherwise)
Why would they give Halliburton a huge contract like Iraq and not allow other corps to bid on it? Take time and read up on what our government is up to. Do NOT trust without verification. Fascism is when we place blind allegiances in our leaders trusting them to always do whats right. They dont. I wont be posting here again. I just happened across your blog by mistake and saw a good kid doing whats right . Im proud to have guys like you, Mark fighting for our country. But I do not like whats happening in our White House. They have ulterior motives that dont include us . I know youre a smart guy. I know you have good intentions. God bless you and your trooper buddies but do not follow blindly. Demand clarity and an open Government that does not hide from us, demand a clear plan. America is a great country because we have open government . Dont allow this to change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home