Simple pleasures
If you don’t hear from me in a while it’s because I just ate that local watermelon and I’m in the hospital. Eating it was against my better judgment because I’ve seen the cesspool irrigation canals that run into the fields around here. I’m hoping the notion that fruits and vegetables are natural filters is actually something I read somewhere and not just something I made up to justify my afternoon snack. I probably have it exactly backwards. That watermelon probably acts as a liver, soaking up all the poisons. I guess I’ll find out for sure before too long.
It wasn’t the sweetest melon I’ve ever had, but it was ice cold and juicy which made it pretty damn good to me. Especially on a day when the temp read a whopping 136 degrees. We just got back from a mission. I was the gunner for my vehicle and I think the sun may have broiled off the first few layers of my face. When you’re driving 60 mph with the top half of your body sticking out of the top of the vehicle I swear it feels like you could fry an egg on your head. The wind rushing past you is ridiculously hot. It’s strange though; listening to the Armed Forces Network radio station they always say that the high temperature in my area will be like 105. Maybe the military propagandists think they can fool me into thinking that my life is 30 degrees less miserable than it really is.


3 Comments:
Add "Don't eat the watermelon" to "Never get out of the boat."
136 DEGREES!!!!! Ok, that's the last time I'll ever complain about a Portland summer. At least in your company. See you soon, sugartits.
Oh yeah, that was me (rian). I'm sure you know several anonymouses, so I'll go by my given name.
Post a Comment
<< Home