Thursday, December 01, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yesterday, the entire Troop got together for an Awards Ceremony Dinner. I was one of several awarded the Army Commendation Medal. This stands as my first military award (if you don't count the Brigade Achievement Coin that I found in the trash a few years back). I received the award for my actions during a training accident a while back. Some of you might recall a little incident I was involved in back in Louisiana which resulted in a barbequed Humvee (story here, photo here). For my part I half expected some sort of reprimand, so a medal was a nice surprise. Now I've got something dangly to pin to my Class A uniform. The award recommendation form read as follows:

During a brush fire that engulfed one of 2nd platoon’s trucks, SPC Coon risked serious injury to himself in order to remove vital sensitive equipment from the burning vehicle without regard to his own personal safety. Through SPC Coon’s actions 2nd platoon remained combat ready with zero loss of sensitive equipment.

8 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

Congratulations! But I don't think your mom would give you a medal for this part: "...without regard to his own personal safety..."

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Joe! This does sort of open the floodgates though, doesn't it? I'd think they now have to give you a medal for every Humvee you've destroyed.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joey,
This is my first visit to your blog. May I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your thoughts and experience in Iraq. Putting faces of the future of Iraq "The Children" on so that we may see the joy in their eyes the hope all of you have given them is indeed priceless.
May God continue to hold each of you in the palms of his hands.
Thank you for your Service to our Country know that you,your fellow Service Members and all of your Families remain in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Sincerely a forever greatful American and Soldiers Angel
Cathy

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger heatheragarcia said...

Congrats. You deserve it and so much more for all that you have done.

J

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
A friend of yours (Brin) sent me your blog address. My son is also in Iraq. He's not as big on writing as you are, so your site is great. I appreciate your stories and pictures. Be safe and thanks for the service. Your dad said it all!!

Sandy

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey, You ARE an awesome son and person. Keep on blogging after you get home so we can follow your life and see all the amazing things you will be doing. Thanks for all you've done so far for so many. I can't wait to see your first blog written from the saftey of home,Mirrow Pond Pale Ale in hand.

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think you can Fed-EX my medal?? Holy sh*t.. the army actually recognized us for a change! I have to tell everyone that our capes were flying high that day. See you soon mane...

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember hearing about that. 2ND platoon the fire starters! you should get another award for getting to tell the funniest story ever to yur friends and family.


oh yeah, despite my wishes, im GLAD you didnt die in a fire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home