Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hanging with the crew

A few weeks ago various aspects of our mission were altered, ending our responsibility for the area where most of “our kids” hang out. Instead of seeing Elmo and the others every few days we run into them, only by chance, every few weeks. I have been worried lately that I wouldn’t get an opportunity to let them know that I was going home soon and to say goodbye. Luckily, we saw Rafudi, Elmo and the gang yesterday. I had a box of stuff with me, and loaded up all the kids with candy and toys. A family friend who works for Western Family had sent me dozens of red bandanas, which I passed out to the girls. They seemed to enjoy them very much, and immediately tied them around their heads. The children seem to wear out at least one pair of socks a week so we handed them each a fresh pair. Elmo began to pout, as she sometimes does, because I gave something to one kid that she thought was rightfully hers. She can definitely be a handful. Usually I’d try and teach her some manners and refuse to give out anything more until she decided to behave. But this time, out of fear that it would be the last time I saw her, I caved early and gave her what she wanted. What can I say, I’m a soft touch.

I spoke to Rafudi for a while and asked him if he delivered the letter to his father. His reply was, “Mother, father, ‘Joey very good!’.” I took that to mean yes and that his parents enjoyed what I wrote. I doubt very much that the father will write back but it is good to know that he appreciated the letter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home