Keep on keeping on
We sometimes forget what it must be like for the people we have left back home. It is easy to take for granted the fact that we know where we are at all times and whether we are safe or in danger. For our loved ones there is rarely certainty, and it is all too easy for imaginations to run wild. For us a few busy weeks can fly by in a blink. Before we realize it it’s been far too long since the last time we called home. All the while our mothers spend sleepless nights envisioning us dodging bullets and battling insurgents with big Rambo knives. In reality, at that very moment, we’re most likely napping our engaged in some mundane task. It must be similar to how I feel when, on my night off, the boys get called out. When five hours pass and they haven't come back yet you start to wonder what could have happened. Then, at 2am when your roommates come strolling through the door they ask you why you're sitting by the door and still dressed.
Please forgive us for our occasional bouts of thoughtlessness. For those of you with a loved one over here I’ll tell you what I always say to my own mother. Let the time pass. Don’t worry yourselves more than you have to. You take care of that from your end, and we’ll take care of each other from this end.


5 Comments:
Joe-thank you son for your encouraging words & comforting words. I still worry...Love, Momma xoxo
Joey--Thanks for thinking of your mom. She's doing well and I'm very proud of how she is handling having you so far away. I'm having dinner with her tonight and always look forward to my time with her. Your photos are incredible! You are such a great guy and the relationships you are building with the Iraqi kids will be remembered by them for the rest of their lives. We're so proud of you. One more thing-just want to make sure your mom knows I had nothing to do with the tattoo. I'm all about earrings! :0) Stay healthy, safe and happy! Love, Pam
What a sweet boy/man you are. You have a very down to earth philosophy and I'm sure it serves you well.
Stay well and safe
Just someone who cares.
Yep, you're a good guy. And you'll make a fine civilian, too. After your stint on the Joints Chiefs, of course.
Joe,
I miss you tons and think of you often. I have to agree with Brainhell, I think this may have changed the course of your life :) I love you tons!
luv, nikki
Post a Comment
<< Home